YVHA / Brown Ranch Fact Sheets

YVHA Fact Sheet


Fact Sheet

2023 AMI Fact Sheet

2023 AMI

Fact Sheet

Brown Ranch Fact Sheet

Brown Ranch

Fact Sheet

Brown Ranch – Top 10 Facts

Brown Ranch

Top 10 Facts

To view the fact sheets in an interactive flipbook, click on the document image.  To download the full PDF click the “Download PDF” button.

En español

YVHA fact sheet en español

Hoja informativa de YVHA

2023 AMI fact sheet en español

Hechos de 2023 AMI

Brown Ranch fact sheet en español

Hoja informativa sobre el ingreso medio del área de 2023

Los Diez Datos Principales – Brown Ranch

Los Diez Datos Principales – Brown Ranch

What is the YVHA?

  • Since 2003, The Yampa Valley Housing Authority has provided affordable housing in Steamboat Springs.
  • YVHA is a multi-jurisdictional public housing authority created by an intergovernmental agreement between the City of Steamboat Springs and Routt County and governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, appointed by the City and the County.

What is the vision for YVHA’s future?

The Yampa Valley Housing Authority is an organization that maintains strong communities, has healthy financials, provides housing education, and is the affordable housing leader in the Steamboat Springs area.

We advocate for affordable housing to be a top priority for the community and we partner with the City, County, developers, and other organizations to provide the resources necessary to bring new affordable housing to the market.

What is the housing mill levy?

In 2017, local voters approved a 1 mill property tax that would sunset in 10 years, to be used to build 600 new affordable housing units.

By using numerous public-private partnerships, YVHA has leveraged this small mill levy to provide more than 400 Routt County families safe, stable, affordable homes in six years, with more in the pipeline.

How many housing developments has YVHA created?

After the mill levy passed, YVHA moved to build infill homes quickly. These are the developments completed or underway:

  • The Reserves
    • 48-unit property for low-income residents, managed by a 3rd party property management company. Available since 2017. Residents living here include restaurant support workers, cooks, entry-level grocery workers, patient care providers, and preschool teachers.
  • Alpenglow
    • Alpenglow Village includes 72 one-, two-, and three-bedroom mixed-income apartment units. Residents here might include cooks, landscape workers, medical assistants, bus drivers, teachers, police officers, and nurses. managed by a 3rd party property management company. Available since 2019.
  • Sunlight Crossing
    • The project was designed to create upward mobility from YVHA low-income properties for those who qualify and provide much needed affordable housing for middle income earners of Routt County. The 90 units include studio, 1-, 2-, and 3-bedroom configurations targeted for families earning between 80% and 120% of AMI. There are also 22 market-rate units. Residents at Sunlight Crossing might include teachers, nurses, firefighters, physical therapists, and sworn police officers. The project is fully leased and managed by YVHA.
  • Anglers Four Hundred
    • YVHA partnered with Overland Property Group to leverage its local investment of $2million to bring roughly $14 million in state and federal tax credit equity to fund the development of this new community. When completed in late 2023 or early 2024, this project will deliver 75 rental apartments. Residents might be cooks, bartenders, servers, bus drivers, landscape workers, and teachers, among others. Planned lease up fall 2023. Will be managed by a 3rd party property management company.
  • Mid-Valley
    • 150 rental and 84 for-sale moderate-income units. YVHA acquired the Mid Valley property thanks to a generous anonymous donation. YVHA was also awarded a $4 million grant from the Colorado Department of Local Affairs, with Lone Tree Trust, LLC as a development partner, YVHA plans to develop 234 units of moderate-income housing, including 150 rental apartments and 84 for-sale condominiums. All for sale units will be deed-restricted and will target members of the local Routt County workforce or those retired from the local workforce. YVHA is planning for a 2025 release and will manage the property.

What other properties does YVHA own and manage?

Since its creation, YVHA has worked to purchase,manage and upgrade existing affordable housing.

  • Hillside Village Apartments
    • Formerly owned by the Regional Affordable Living Foundation (RALF), YVHA acquired the Hillside Village Apartments in 2007. The complex consists of one- and two-bedroom units geared toward low-income households making up to 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI). Residents might include cooks and restaurant support folks, entry-level grocery workers, and medical assistants. YVHA manages this property and it always has a waitlist.
  • Fish Creek Mobile Home Park
    • In 2007, YVHA acquired the Park with the help of a low-interest loan from the City of Steamboat Springs. Since the acquisition, YVHA has invested in upgrading the underground infrastructure within the Park and continues to invest in upgrading the above-ground utilities. The Park contains 68 lots. Each resident owns their own home and pays an affordable lot rent to YVHA. Ownership of homes is restricted to households who work in Routt County and use the property as their sole residence.
  • Whitehaven Mobile Home Park
    • YVHA purchased this 27-unit Park in 2022 with the generous contribution of two anonymous donors and favorable loans. Like the Fish Creek Mobile Home Park, each resident owns their own home and pays an affordable lot rent to us. We have set up a process to upgrade the infrastructure and eventually plan to transition ownership of the property to the residents in the form of a resident-owned co-op.

How does YVHA create housing mobility?

When individuals spend less than 30% of their income on housing, they can save for their future, which creates an environment of housing mobility and the possibility of eventual home ownership.

YVHA has a variety of housing types to help with upward mobility.

How does YVHA pay for its housing developments?

YVHA uses a number of tools to build its housing developments including the Federal Low Income Housing Tax Credit, working with development partners, the housing mill levy, low interest loans and grants from federal, state and philanthropic partners.

How else does YVHA help those in need of housing?

The YVHA Housing Navigation Program is the umbrella YVHA uses to help individuals and families locate secure and affordable long-term housing options.

It includes the Down Payment Assistance Program and deed restrictions.

YVHA also provides resources to promote financial education to achieve upward mobility, starting with budgeting.

How does YVHA work with private developers?

On all our new housing developments, YVHA establishes a public-private partnership with a qualified developer. This is done to leverage the financial and other resources YVHA brings to the development. It also serves to limit the risk exposure by YVHA, including construction, lease-up, and operating risks.

Resources YVHA brings to each partnership differ slightly, but can include the following:

  • Local financial resources (used as a part of all capital sources);
  • Property, sales and use tax exemptions;
  • Local entitlement expertise, including planning and zoning applications, process coordination and representation at public hearings; and,
  • Local consultants who aid in determining development feasibility and market characteristics.

How is the YVHA governed?

YVHA is overseen by a Board of Directors who are selected by the City Council of Steamboat Springs and the Routt County Commissioners. Board terms are three years. The Board is dedicated to the strategic and fiduciary oversight of YVHA to deliver and maintain safe, affordable, and sustainable housing for the Yampa Valley. The focus of the Board has been to utilize the 5A mill levy revenue to build and maintain a diverse inventory of housing stock.

Current Board members are:

  • Leah Wood President
  • Michael Ann LaMotte Vice President
  • Cole Hewitt Secretary/Treasurer
  • Tim Corrigan Routt County Commissioner/Ex Officio
  • Sonja Macys Routt County Commissioner/Ex Officio alternate
  • Dakotah McGinlay City Council Member/Ex Officio
  • Gail Garey City Council Member/Ex Officio alternate
  • Roger Ashton
  • Jim Beers
  • Alison Brodie
  • Catherine Carson
  • Reese Freeman
  • Kelly Gallegos
  • Kathi Meyer
  • Patrick Phillips
  • Lou Tortora

Do you provide rental assistance?

Section 8 Rental Assistance

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is federally funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). It provides a subsidy for qualified families to obtain existing rental housing at a rent they can afford. For more information, go to the HUD Website about the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.

The Grand County Housing Authority administers this program for Routt County. They can be contacted at (970) 725-3347.

What is AMI?

 Area Median Income (AMI)

  • Using data from the U.S. Census Bureau, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) annually calculates AREA MEDIAN INCOME (AMI) This estimates median family income for every area of the country. Half of the family incomes are above the median and half are below the median. These estimates are used to calculate various income limits which are defined as percentages of the median family income. AMI varies by the number of persons in a household.
  • AMI is the metric the Yampa Valley Housing Authority (YVHA) uses to determine eligibility for all our communities and programs. YVHA also follows the traditional rule that monthly housing costs should be no more than 30% of one’s monthly gross income (i.e., income before taxes). Data for the entirety of Routt County is included in the AMI information YVHA uses. In 2023, the Routt County AMI increased by almost 6%.
    HUD defines LOW INCOME is anyone whose income is below 80% AMI
  • Local examples include our friends and neighbors who are elementary and preschool teachers, restaurant and grocery store workers, lift operators, bus drivers, and patient/medical assistants. HUD defines MIDDLE INCOME as anyone whose income falls between 80-120% AMI
  • Local examples include our friends and neighbors who are nurses, firefighters, and sworn police officers.

Routt County Area Median Income (AMI) Limits per Household

Effective Date: May 15, 2023

Note: Household size includes all Adults and Children.

1 Person2 People3 People4 People5 People6 People
120% AMI$91,080$104,040$117,000$129,960$140,400$150,840
100% AMI$75,900$86,700$97,500$108,300$117,000$125,700
80% AMI$60,720$69,360$78,000$86,640$93,600$100,560
70% AMI$53,130$60,690$68,250$75,810$81,900$87,990
60% AMI$45,540$52,020$58,500$64,980$70,200$75,420
50% AMI$37,950$43,350$48,750$54,150$58,500$62,850
40% AMI$30,360$34,680$39,000$43,320$46,800$50,280
30% AMI$22,770$26,010$29,250$32,490$35,100$37,710


We know we need 1,400 housing units now for existing workers.

Businesses, schools, the hospital, and non-profits cannot hire the staff they need because there is no housing workers can afford.

In anticipation of the future needs of the Steamboat Springs, the West Steamboat Springs Area Plan identified the west side of town for growth.

That is why they created the Urban Growth Boundary (UGB) in 1999.

The first phase of Brown Ranch is envisioned to deliver 1,100 units in the next ten years.

The existing short-term rental tax, if dedicated to the Brown Ranch, will allow YVHA to leverage local funds to gain federal, state, and private grants.

In the state of Colorado, any new tax needs to be approved by voters.

The agreement includes the ability for Steamboat Springs to deny building permits at Brown Ranch if the City cannot fund its share of offsite infrastructure expenses, primarily US Hwy 40 improvements.

According to City Attorney Dan Foote, “…There is absolutely 0% chance that the annexation agreement will cause the city to become insolvent or bankrupt…”

The Annexation agreement has strict guidelines to ensure that YVHA meets its obligations to build affordable housing, construct parks, trails, and community spaces, and contribute significant funding to city-wide infrastructure.

For example, during peak commuting hours, traffic on US Hwy 40 west of downtown is a challenge that needs to be solved now, with or without Brown Ranch.

YVHA will contribute $20 million dollars through short term rental tax revenue to the City to pay for the share of impacts Brown Ranch will have to traffic on US Hwy 40.

This diversity of housing types available to all types of local workers – teachers, nurses, cooks, construction workers and more – will create housing choices and encourage housing mobility through life changes.

The current plan based on a third-party, independent demand study is:

60% rental units and 40% ownership units with the following types:

  1. 65% apartments and condos
  2. 22% single family townhomes
  3. 13% single family homes

More than 40% of the annexed land area is dedicated to parks and open space, including an extension of the Core Trail from Sleepy Bear Mobile Home Park to Silver Spur. There will be no short-term rentals or second homes at Brown Ranch.

Rental units will have restrictions on annual rent increases tied to Area Median Income, which means they will not pay more than 30% of their income.

Ownership units will be deed restricted to limit appreciation while accounting for capital improvements and sweat equity owners put into their homes.

YVHA already manages deed restricted homes in Steamboat.

The master plan for Brown Ranch was developed after input from more than 3,500 individuals at 230 meetings as well as with other community stakeholders over 15 months.

YVHA created the Brown Ranch plan with the community, long before seeking development partners for public-private partnerships to build infrastructure and housing at Brown Ranch.

The City’s existing water rights are sufficient to serve Brown Ranch. After the first phase of Brown Ranch is completed in approximately 10 years, the community will need a new water treatment plant. This plant will benefit the entire community by providing redundancy for the City’s water supply in case of wildfire in the Fish Creek basin.

YVHA will provide most of the funding for this facility, in addition to paying tap fees like all development in Steamboat Springs.